Monday, February 21, 2011

Just when we think we have figured this out things change

Well Alyssa has had 13 doses in a row.  It has become a joke now between us.  When she said that she didn't want a break she really thought that she would only do around 8 times and then her QTC number would be to high and she would get a break.  Last time every day her QTC number would go up everyday.  Well this time around her numbers were getting pretty high.  (When they do the ekg they measure her OTC wave.  If it is over 500 she can't get arsenic.  When it is over 500 they have to have the cardiologist measure it by hand.)  We thought for sure that when the cardiologist looked at the number would be too high but they have always gotten it below 500.  This weekend her numbers went down!   We were very shocked.  Also on Sunday her number was so low that the cardiologist didn't even have to look at it.  We like it when the cardiologist doesn't have to look at because that speeds up the process by usually 1 hour. 

Now Alyssa is wondering if  she should have never said that she would wait for her body to tell us that she needed a break!  Now we are wondering how long she will go without a break.  Well with that being said all in all we are doing fine.  We went to DI ( a store like goodwill) today and came home with 2 bags of books for her.  She loves to read and when we don't have access to a library we figured that was the next best thing. 

We have met so many wonderful people on the leukemia floor.  We just learned that a young man was just finishing a mission for our church and he had 2 weeks left after being gone for 2 years.   He  found out that he had leukemia.  He flew here from his mission with the mission doctor with him.  His family met him here from Colorado.  Also another couple had just had their first baby and then 2 days later the husband found out he had leukemia.  Another couple was in the same boat as Alyssa.  He was suppose to graduate from BYU-Idaho in April and his wife was 2 months pregnant and they found out he had leukemia.  As I have met all these wonderful people I realize that everyone has a story.  What we do with our story is up to us.  We can dwell on the negative or we can find the positive.  I have learned a lot about myself and my family.  I have realized what is important to me.  I have learned that I have a awesome daughter.  I can't believe how strong she is and what a wonderful support my family is to me. There have been many blessings that have come from this.   I have realized that the Lord will not give me more than I can handle.  I never thought that I could have done the things that I have done since November.  When Alyssa was in the ICU the nurses were always coming up to me and wondering why I was so calm when my world was falling apart around me.  I know that I would have not been able to do all of these things without the power of the priesthood and the support of my family.

Give your love ones a hug tonight and tell them that you love them.  I miss Kirk, Kelsey and Bryan and I love them with all my heart.  I am glad that they are mine and I can be Bryan, Alyssa and Kesley's mom. 

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this update. Its true life is a roller coaster. There are many ups and downs. Its what we do during the "down" parts that is important. That is where we learn so much. There is one saying that I really like that does this well: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away"
    I fell really sorry for the guy that was about finished with his mission and then he found out that he had Leukemia. That would be horrible. Your teaching all of these people that are sick spiritually and in the end you end up becoming sick physically. Kind of interesting and tragic. We never know what Heavenly Father has in store for us, so we just have to trust in him. I am very glad that you have not been so down throughout this trial. In truth the Priesthood is an amazing power. I love you too. So glad that you are my mom and that I have a sister like Alyssa. Even though she is not in best of states. The best comes out of us when we are in the hardest parts of our lives.
    Love ya. Keep on keeping on.
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Alyssa Go!

    You have true grit if I ever saw it. I think you should go for the record......30 days straight and 100% cured. Lisa and I are pulling for you both.

    Sincerely, M.M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annalee,

    I appreciated your words today. They show that you have what it takes to make it to the end. I'm proud of you and Kirk, and especially Alyssa. The Lord is watching over you, it is clear. All is well.

    -Patrick

    ReplyDelete