Saturday, April 23, 2011

All IV meds

Alyssa had a horrible night again.  Her pain in her throat would not get under control.  They upped  her pain meds.   She was really scared last night because she was having a hard time swallowing.  She thought that she would have to go to the ICU last night.  I went and talked to the charge nurse and she told me what she is going through is very normal.  As long as her oxygen is up and she is breathing she is not going anywhere.  I went and told her that and she seemed to calm down a bit.  Last night she decided that all of her meds needed to be IV because she can't swallow anything.  They are going to give her the nutrition bag sometime today.  She has told me that her throat feels like it has a huge hair ball in it and she can't get it out.  She has a suction thing by her bed and that seems to help a little.  Her voice sounds like she has sucked on helium and then talks.  She still has her sense of humor.  I told her this morning that I was going to heat up  something to eat.  She said to me I am not going anywhere so I will still be here when you get back.  She is such an amazing girl her spirit and inner strength is incredible.  She feels lousy but she still wants to go on walks.


She has to get blood and plates today so that will make her feel a little better and give her some energy.  The pain pump has some pretty strong medicine in it and keeps her pretty drowsy.  The doctors have told her that she should start feeling better on day 10 which is Monday.  They also told us that Alyssa will probably know before anybody when her white blood cells start to turn on.  The reason is because they will start attacking the mucus in her throat first before attaching to the cells.  So she will start to feel better soon.  It is so hard to watch her suffer and I can't do anything to help her. 

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa, you just keep fighting. I believe you have it in you. One day soon you will look forward to happy, pain free days and this will all fade into a bad dream.

    We Love you kid, Mike & Lisa

    ReplyDelete