Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Alyssa's numbers are dropping fast

The last few days have been pretty good for Alyssa.  Yesterday she kept all of her food down.  She is itching from medicine that they gave her to protect her mouth from mouth sores.  She seems to be in good spirits.  She loves not being attached to the iv pole.  She only has to be plugged in one time at night for one hour.  Her numbers are just about at zero.  They want it to go to zero then they can start begin building up.  On her birthday (Thursday) she will start getting the shot that helps boost her white blood cells.  She is really thrilled to be getting a shot for her birthday.  With the shot she will have bone aches because the bone marrow is coming in.  It is hard to have the pain but it also good because we know she is almost better.  Her new goal is to get out of the hospital on the 27th instead of the 29th. 

On another note I met a couple on the floor the other night.  I have been so impressed with him.  He was going into the doctor thinking that he had a kidney stone, but instead he was admitted to the hospital for 2 weeks.  He ran 9 miles the day that he was admitted.  He was training for the Salt Lake Marathon.  The marathon was on last Saturday.  Alyssa and I saw him walking that day with his shirt on from another marathon and his medal that he received.  I saw him later that night still walking.  His wife told me later that he told her he needed to do 26 laps around the hospital the same has the marathon.  He started at 7:00 am just like the marathon.  He finished that night at 9:52.  He would do it all day long taking breaks.  She also told me that her son went to school one day and then came home to find out that his dad wasn't coming home for awhile.  They got a surprise yesterday.  They were told he would have to stay 3 weeks but yesterday they told him that he could go home after only being here for 2 weeks.

It amazes me what everyone up on this floor has to go through and the inner strength that it takes to get through it.  I am so proud of Alyssa and how she has  pushed through everything that has been thrown at her.  I love her with all my heart and I am very proud to say that I am her mother.

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I think Alyssa is running the Iron Man Marathon.... and doing very well I might add......You go girl! Lisa and I know you can get there.

    Best hopes for a minimal bone pain experience, and remember.....DRUGS.....If you have to. You have already tolerated an entire lifetime of discomfort so I am all for pharmaceutical assistance at this point.

    Love Ya Kid, M.M.

    ReplyDelete