Saturday, December 4, 2010

A full day

Again Alyssa had a rough night.  Her back is always hurting her and she can never get comfortable.  She is so scared to be going back downstairs that she is pretty scared when her oxygen monitor goes off.    I told her that she was fine and we needed to figure out how to get over this scared feeling.


She woke up and ordered her breakfast and half way through it she said that she was light headed and she was getting nauseated.  Her nurse Kyle came in and gave her a high blood pressure medicine, anti nauseated medicine and a pain killer for her head.  She crawled in bed and went to sleep for a good 30 minutes and then all the nurses and doctors started coming in.

We finally got her feeling okay so I went and took a shower and went on a quest to find short sleeve pj's that have a button front so they could get to her central line.  She gets really hot in long sleeves.  Right after I took a shower she called me and I thought something was wrong.  She told me the physical therapist was there and he needed to talk to me.  I only got lost once going to find the pj's.  I don't really know Salt Lake very well.  I have had my Dad and Kirk write me directions to go to some places but I still get confused.


When I got back she had ordered her lunch and had been doing word searches for the occupational therapist.  She was in the middle of eating her lunch and then she threw up.  I called the nurse and he gave her some more anitnauseate medicine.Right after she threw up she asked Kyle if she could finish her lunch.  What a trooper to want to finish her lunch, I would have wanted to crawl back into bed.  She finished her soup that she was eating.  Kyle told me that it usually takes about a week to start feeling the effects of the chemo.  She then wanted to have a shower so she got up and had a shower.  I combed her hair and put into pigtail braids.  When I was combing her hair it was coming out pretty easily.  She something about it and I told her that she could get a  cool wig color that she was always trying to change her hair color to.

She had said that everything is starting to taste not so good.  Again Kyle told her that is from the chemo.  She went for a walk, when she goes for a walk she has to put all this stuff on so she can't get germs.  I will enclose her picture.  After her walk Kyle gave her some more medicine and she is sleeping peacefully.  Hopefully that will last.


The lung doctor came in and showed us her lungs and wow has she improved.  No wonder she couldn't breathe after looking at the ex rays.  He said that her lungs are looking very good.  She has not been on oxygen all day and her numbers are great.

Some more nurses in the ICU, Jen and Amber

My number one fans,   Grandpa & Grandma Beecher

My favorite respatory therapist Megan

This is what I have to put on when I go for a walk.
Thanks Jordan for the purple christmas tree.  She loves it and likes looking at the lights.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick said...

    Alyssa,

    Your "Going for a walk" uniform looks like you could be the doctor, pushing a cart, destined for some unsuspecting patient, to give them the 'what-for'.

    I'm glad you're up and at it, and sorry about the chemo making stuff taste badly. It's only a short time, then you'll be back to normal and tasting all sorts of deliciousnesses (that's plural for more than one deliciousness).

    When you're ready, I'll bring you some sashimi sushi (that's raw seafood meat sushi). But before you get into the hard stuff, I guess we should warm up with the easy cheesy stuff, like... like... like fish egg sushi!! I'd start you on the small fish eggs first, (very small, like sand). Then work up to the big stuff like salmon eggs (the size of peas). They pop in your mouth when you chew them. Then, on to the sashimi.

    See what you have to look forward to?! Yes, I'll bet you're having a hard time containing your excitement with all this sushi talk. It's making me hungry too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you were finally able to get a good night's rest!
    Sending my love to you and your mom
    Jordan C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alyssa,

    I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. I remember Grandpa Ward telling me that things didn't taste very good when he was on chemo and other medicines. Hopefully this nausea will go away and that your tasters will be back to normal soon. Maybe since things are starting to taste weird, Patrick's food menu wouldn't be so bad. It sure makes me want to puke, though! I'll come up again as soon as I can. I have to see what you've done to your new room!
    Love, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Alyssa & family,

    I'm so sorry, that you have to go through this very difficult trial in your lives. When I had my back surgeries & they didn't work, I was comforted by knowing that Heavenly Father is always there. Remember, that he is always there watching over you.

    Love,

    Aunt Janice

    ReplyDelete