Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Relapse in the Leukemia

Yesterday she had a bone marrow biopsy.  If it came out positive then they could give her some medicine to boost the white blood cells.  If it came it out negative then we needed to talk about treatment going forward.  She was in a lot of pain from the biopsy.  I can see why because those needles were pretty wicked looking.    She was looking forward to seeing Kirk.  Kirk got here around 9:30 p.m.  He left at 4:30 am and he said the roads were awful.  She was so excited to see her dad.  He went and slept in the townhome while I stayed in the hospital. 


When Kirk got to the hospital this morning I left and unpacked the suitcases and the few things that he brought from Omaha.  I was so excited to see my sewing machine.  I know that sounds so funny but I have really missed sewing.  The nurses keep telling me to bring my sewing machine and work on projects here.  Kirk brought his work computer and was trying to get some work done.  He said that he couldn't get on to the internet so he was getting frustrated. 


While I was gone Dr. Peterson came in and talked to Alyssa and Kirk.  He later called me and told what is going on.  Well when they got the bone marrow results it is not good.  She has had a relapse in the Leukemia.  This is why the white blood cells were not coming in.  They are going to start the arsenic treatment tonight.  The schedule will be doing it for 5 days and then 2 days off for 5 weeks.  Then there will be a 2 week break and then start it again.  After all that then they will do a bone marrow biospy again.  She will need to stay in the hospital until her white blood cells come in.  Dr. Peterson says that it can be anywhere to one week to three weeks.  When she comes home then she can finish the  arsenic treatment in the outpatient clinic.

After she is is remission she will have to a stem cell transplant.  How Dr. Peterson explained it to me is that the most ideal situation would be to take bone marrow from her and freeze it and then transplant it back in her.  If they can't do that then they will have to do it from a donor.  They have told me that siblings would be the best match. 

The only good thing about all this because she has to have a transplant our insurance has approved us to stay at LDS hospital instead of having to go to Childern's.  I am so happy that she can finish her treatment here.  She will have all the same nurses and doctors that she has had up until now.  This is the best place for her to be so we are happy about that.


Alyssa is a little down about the news.  I think she was really hoping to be out of here by Christmas.  I told her that we will have a party in her room.  The nurses told me that Christmas around here is pretty fun.  Kirk will be here for a couple of weeks and I also think that will help Alyssa.  I will stay at the townhome tonight while Kirk stays here with her.  I think what is going to happen is that I will stay with her during the day while stays at the townhome and works.  After he gets done with work he will come up to the hospital and I will go home and sleep.

Kirk and Bryan gave her a blessing.  She told me that Kirk told her that there will not any complications with this next phase.  I was down getting her something to eat when the blessing given.  I know that really calmed her down.  All in all it has been another overwhelming day.

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa, we're glad that your dad made it back to Utah safely and we're very sorry about the relapse.

    Now that your dad is back, I think you'll do a lot better. It always helps to have both your mom and dad by your side.

    Brenda said she came up to visit you last week. I'm sorry I wasn't able to join her. My schedule has been chaotic. I have a few days off for the holidays, and Brenda, Zach and I are looking forward to coming up and see you.

    Love
    -Patrick, Brenda and Zach.

    ReplyDelete