Friday, December 17, 2010

We have hair!

The american cancer society has a program that a lady comes around and lets you try on wigs and if you like one you can have it for free.  The lady came yesterday and Alyssa found one that she liked.  She didn't wear it yesterday.  I think that it overwhelmed her a little.  After her shower  today I talked her into wearing it for the day.  When her leukemia doctor came into to talk to her he had to ask if that was her real hair.  She has had a lot of compliments on it.  It think that it has boosted her self esteem.

She is still not making white blood cells.  She had to have 4 bags of blood products today.  She is still getting sick every day.  I talked to the doctor and they are going to give her some other kind of medicine to help her bowels moving.  They think that the food just sits in her stomach and then it has to be moved somehow so she is throwing up. 

When the doctor came in today they told her that they are not going to give her the ATRA treatment.  This is the treatment that is so good at killing the disease but this was part of the treatment that caused all the lung and brain issues.  I was relieved to  hear that they are not going to restart it.  When her numbers get up and she is released she will start the second part of the treatment.  They will give her arsenic in place of the ATRA.  She will have this done at childern's hospital.  Our insurance said that she could do this first treatment here but we needed to go to a contracted hospital for the outpatient.  Dr. Peterson told me that he would only trust a few hospitals doing that treatment.  He said the childern's is excellent.  I feel bad that she has to get to know new doctors and nurses but I know that she will good care.  I just don't understand insurance companies.


My new hair.  I think she looks great.  We need to take it into a hair salon when she gets out of hospital and they need to cut the bangs a little different and even up the sides. 
All in all she has a good day with the exception of throwing up.  Oh and she doesn't have the disease that they thought she had when then did the spinal tap.  Me and Doctor Peterson had all ready come to that conclusion.  I guess I should be a doctor!

4 comments:

  1. Alyssa,
    I love your hair! You look so cute! I made it through finals and projects. Now I am exhausted!!! I will plan on coming up to see you before Christmas.
    Love, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hair! So cute. You like happy. Can't wait to see you Sunday.
    Love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa I love the new hair! You look so sophisticated and beautiful! You are looking great in the photos that are posted. Love you! Keep that wonderful smile on your face!

    Love, Sarah Beck

    ReplyDelete