Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Another day that has been busy

Alyssa didn't sleep very well last night.  I felt so bad for her she just couldn't get comfortable.  They stopped the medicine that takes all of her fluid out of her body.  The reason they do this is because she is not having so much fluid going in and they want her body to try to do it on its own.  She was coughing a lot and she was getting filled with fluid.  She actually asked for the c pack mask last night.  They don't like her to be on that all the time because it breathes for her and she doesn't have to work at breathing.

She awoke pretty scared and I told her that it was good she was coughing because that was good for lungs.  Her eyes were all puffy.  She asked if Grandpa could come and give her a blessing.  I called and my parents came running.  She had a blessing and they gave her some medicine to try to relax her.  She finally went to sleep.

I was pretty tired so I went back to the hotel and got some sleep.  When I woke up I texted my mom and she said that she was doing great.  They had given her a little bit of medicine to get rid of the fluid in her system.  She was eating mac & cheese, carrots, 2 cartons of choc. milk and chocolate pudding.   I guess there was some discussion about her not eating.  They didn't have what she ate yesterday.  My mom straightened them out on that.  We were just leaving the hotel and my mom said come now they are taking her down to have another mri.  We ran over to the hospital.  We got there just in time to say good bye and we loved her.  Mom said that the respiratory therapsit and the nurse were trying to figure out how to take the oxygen into the mri.  The respiratory therapist came up with an adjustment so she could take it in with her.  It reminded me of Apollo 13 when they had to use different things to bring them home.

She got back from the MRI and she was a little sedated.  While she was sleeping my Dad and I went and inquired about hospital housing.  They gave me a room that is right across from the hospital.  It is not the hilton but it has a bed and a shower.  I am so grateful that I can go over there and get some rest and have a shower.  I will still stay here at night but I will go over sometime during the day.  Alyssa told me she doesn't like it when I leave but I told her I need to take care of me in order to take care of her.

I think we have her schooling and apartment taken care of so now we are set on those things.  Kirk called and said that his boss has no problem working remotely temporarily.   Permanently he is going to have to check on it.  I am so excited that he will be able to come back.  The hospital housing will be nice for him to.  Hopefully the housing has internet so he could work some over there. 

We don't have the results back from the MRI yet.  Most of the results have come back from the spinal tap.  And they are all negative.  The nurse did say that they are sending something to California to test it.  It amazes me what they can do with a little fluid from our bodies

Alyssa had a great dinner.  She had a whole bowl of potatoe soup, green beans, banana, grape juice and custard.  She ate everything except for a few green beans and she is going to finish the custard later to night.  She is resting comfortably and watching How the Grinch stole Christmas.  We are trying to keep her awake until around 9 so maybe she will get a good night's sleep.

She seems to get more and more each day back of her mobility.  She can mover her arms better and she seems to be more coherent.  Hopefully that will continue and she climb the next mountain.  I am so proud of her.  She has been so brave for all the things that she has had to go through.  She has a lot of faith.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Alyssa,
    Just wanted to say hi. Hope you're doing good today. I'm making you an apple pie; I'll bring you a few slices next time I visit. Hope you sleep well tonight.
    Love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyssa,

    I've been trying to send you a message for several days, now, but couldn't get my computer to post it. Heather walked me through the process tonight on her computer, so I will try one more time.

    I've been thinking a lot about the conversation we had the day you were at my house waiting for your grandparents to take you to the hospital for further testing. You had no idea, then, of the trials you would be called to bear within such a short time. I asked you if you were scared, and you told me with such conviction that you knew Heavenly Father was in charge of everything that happens to us in our life's journey and that your trust and faith in Him would sustain you, no matter what. I was so impressed with the Testimony you bore to me that day.
    Thank you for reminding me that a Loving Father in Heaven is very aware of each of us and the trials we are called to bear and that He will never forsake us.

    I love you, Sweetheart. You have been such an example of faith to me and everyone else who loves you. I know you will be greatly blessed because of this faith. As Grandpa Ward would say, "Hang Tough, Our Special Granddaughter." I suspect he is watching over you, too.

    With lots of love, kisses and hugs..Grandma Ward

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa you are so strong and so brave! Keep that fighting spirit going. I think and pray for you every day and I wish there was more I could do to help! I will come and visit as soon as my cold goes away. Keep that beautiful smile on your face! Love you!

    Your cousin, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alyssa,

    I promised you before you went to the hospital that I would come and visit with you and study. Well, school was canceled for me tomorrow so I am coming downtown with Kevin. I will be there tomorrow morning. Maybe we can watch a movie or two while I am there and your mom can get some rest. I hope you sleep well and we'll see you in the morning. Have your mom call me about coming tomorrow.
    Love, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are doing better today, Alyssa. Just keep up the good workm gal,,,,keep the faith,


    loveyou-cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alyssa, I'm glad you're feeling better today. All this talk about how well you're eating is getting me quite hungry for a late night snack. It sounds like you have really great food in the ICU.

    Uncle Shawn that while you were delirious, you wanted him to grind up some Antelope and Bear meat and feed it to you via your feeding tube (He might not have been serious though). That is great idea!!! Maybe even one that can be marketed and you can make millions of dollars from!

    Sometimes Antelope meat can be so nasty, a tube directly into the stomach is the only way to eat it.

    Sleep well tonight. Sounds like Heather is going to bring you some home made Apple Pie pretty soon. Sure beats Shawn's idea, doesn't it?

    -Uncle Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alyssa,

    Just wanted you to know that darren and I have you in our thoughts and prayers. You are a strong young lady and an example to all of us. If I could give you a big hug right now I would :)

    Love,
    Kaitlin

    P.s. I'm glad you like your nurses. I know that makes a real difference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Alyssa,
    i'm glad to hear you're doing a little better. We are praying for you and are proud of your faith and endurance. i hope you get to lose the feeding tube soon. whenever Corbin or Laurel got sick of theirs they just pulled it out. I guess they wouldn't let you get away with that, though, since you know better:)
    love Meghan

    ReplyDelete