Tuesday, December 7, 2010

More Fevers

Well we had a rough start to the night.  She threw up twice and then we finally got her settled and she slept for about 4 hours for a good sleep.  We were not very happy with the nurse.  I kept asking her if we could give her something for her pain.  She would just ignore Alyssa and would really not talk to her.  We had her for 2 nights in a row and they were miserable nights.  This morning around 7:30 the new CNA came in for the day came in to check her vitals.  Alyssa said that she needed something for pain.  The CNA told us that she would send in the nurse.  We got the nurse from the night because the morning nurse was still in rounds.  Alyssa was not happy. 

The nurse came in shortly for the day.  She was so much better than the night nurse.  I asked the day nurse if she could request that we don't get that nurse again.  She would see what she could do.  She was very sweet.  She took care of Alyssa wonderfully.  We have had such great nurses until the last 2 nights.

She slept for most of the morning.  She had a slight fever but it was holding so we were happy about that.  She had a goal to go on 2 walks.  We went on one in the early afternoon and had a shower.  She was doing fine so I told her I was going to go and have a shower.  She wanted a Arby's roast beef so I told her I would try to find one.  This must mean that I love her because I don't know downtown SLC  and I don't like driving when I don't know where I am going.

Well I went and had a shower and I was putting some stuff in the trunk of the car and shut the trunk.  I realized that I had just locked the keys in the trunk.  I  opened the door to see if the back seats came down.  I thought they did when Alyssa bought the car.  I called Alyssa and she said that her fever had spiked again.  I asked her if the seats went down.  She said that you had to fold them down from the trunk.  I told her I would be there when I could.  I then went into the Kimball and asked them to help me find a locksmith.  She asked me if there was a button to open the trunk in the car.  I went and looked and couldn't find one.  I waited for the locksmith to come.  He came and he asked me if the car was opened.  I said that it was.  He went around and found a button to open the trunk.  I was so embarrassed.  He  said that he would forget that he ever saw me. 

Now on to find Arby's.  I drove around a couple of places and I was about ready to go to Wendy's and I turned the corner and there was Arby's.  The Lord is really watching out for me. 

I got back and Alyssa looked like she was had been taken care of very nicely.  She said that she wanted to eat Arby's.  I gave her hot chocolate and she loved that.  Thanks mom for giving me that.  She is resting comfortably and the nurse just came in and said that her fever is leveling off.  Hopefully later on when she wakes up we can go on another walk so we can accomplish our goal for the day


This roller coaster is quite the ride.  I hope that she can have a couple of good days.  Her goal is to be better to go to a holiday concert that the nurses are putting on for the patients on Friday.  Keep her in your prayers so she can go to this.  I really believe that would help her moral. 

3 comments:

  1. Annalee,
    You did the right thing to request that this nurse not take care of Alyssa. Though I'm not familiar with this unit, I've worked on at least 10 different units (actually probably 15) and we have always made every effort to honor this type of request. Sometimes it is just a personality conflict, sometimes it is actually a poor nurse. Either way, the managers and charge nurses (and really everyone who works there) goal is to please the patient. There is such a thing as unreasonable parents or patients who will never be happy with their care, but you are not even close to being that type - so good call on your part.
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa,
    Grandma Ward, Meghan and I are planning to visit tomorrow. Hang tough!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alyssa, Annalee

    It sounds like you both are doing well, despite the car keys and the nausea. Keep it up. Things are so much better than they were 2 weeks ago. It is wonderful to see how things improve over a relatively short time frame.

    -Patrick, Brenda and Zach.

    ReplyDelete