Monday, December 13, 2010

Now a waiting game

Alyssa didn't have a good night with the nurse she doesn't like.  I talked to the Nurse manager today and she is going to take care of it.  Alyssa had the physical therapist come in today and showed her some back exercises to help her aching back.  She has had a great day.  Her head and back have not hurt her today and she has had no pain medicine. 


She is getting bored and she asked me if she could crochet something.  I went to the only store that I know hoping they had yarn.  I was in luck.  I found a pattern for a blanket and bought some yarn and a hook.  I have never been good at reading crochet patterns.  I think I figured it out.  I think that she is excited to start a project and I think that will make her feel better.

The doctor came in and said that everything is on track and we are just waiting for her blood counts to come up.  As soon as they come up for several days then she can be released from the hospital and start the next round of chemo.  Hopefully the counts will come up fairly quickly.  We are still waiting for  the spinal tap results.  Every doctor that we have talked to thinks that it is negative because of the progress that she is making.  

On a side note, I can't believe the weather here.  It feels like spring.  Kirk tells me that there was a blizzard there.  As much as I miss Kirk I am glad I am in the good weather state!  Thanks again for everything that everyone is doing for Alyssa.
CNA Melanie and Nurse Becky.  We called Melanie down not telling her what we wanted.  She thought it was a emergency.  She was a good sport about it, she wanted to know how many pictures she needed to be in.  She is in a previous picture.  Alyssa really likes her.

5 comments:

  1. I love to knit and crochet, a great thing to do when you're getting well. One year at Christmas time in the Conestoga Branch the Relief Society sisters made a scarf for each of the children in the branch. It was really fun. I think I crocheted eight or nine. There are such pretty yarns now that you can crochet simple things and they look fancy and complicated. Have fun with your project.
    Kathy DeFord

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear Alyssa,
    I hope your blood count comes up soon so you can get out of there!! It must be very hard to be there for so long. I'm glad you have some great nurses. i also just wanted to tell you it has been a real treat to get to know you more at our family functions. I'm glad you have lived close by so that we have had those opportunities with you and i look forward to many more.
    Love Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I left today, I saw Becky-she and I worked together when I lived in Utah. She was also an interpreter..

    Glad to have seen you today, Alyssa. If you need help with the pattern, let me know..

    loveya-cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, your almost out of there. You have done such a good job Alyssa. Just keep on trucking. You are such a good sport, and I love you. Have fun crocheting. I never liked it, but I guess its something to do. I don't know what i would do if I were in your shoes. (Probably just read) I'll soon be there soon for Christmas. So I can't wait to see you again. Also I don't mind that we will probably be spending christmas in the hospital. As long as you have a good attitude anything can be fun. You are such a wonderful sister, and I wish you the best.
    Love,
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alyssa,
    Hope you have a good day today. It's great that you can talk to the speech therapist and get excited about your career. Speech therapy is such a great career because there are so many branches in the field and so much variety of what you can do AND you always have people asking you to work for them!

    Dan has been sick so I haven't come to visit cause I don't want to spread any germs. But I have a Christmas present from Grandma Ward (I'm her little elf). Maybe I will drop it off at the front desk this week for you. Carolyn crocheted you a hat, but she is worried that you won't like it. I'm trying to talk her into giving it to you still. Hopefully, you'll get it :) I told her it's very cute, but it turned out different than she imagined so she's feeling a little self conscious about it. (her first real project besides a blanket) and like your mom said, reading crochet patterns is not my strong point. We went to you tube and watched a video on how to make it -- not a bad way to learn except it doesn't look like the video picture!! Anyway, hope you have good day. We're thinking of you and pray for you always.
    Love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete