Thursday, December 16, 2010

Still the Waiting Game

NEWSFLASH!  Alyssa slept without oxygen last night.  The is the first time she has slept with oxygen since going down to ICU.  She has been sleeping in a recliner ever since she came up from ICU.  She had a nap in the bed today.  She told me that she doesn't like to sleep in the bed because she always starts coughing.  She then said she was afraid to sleep in it.  She was so excited to take a nap and not start coughing.  She said that she is going to sleep in the bed tonight.  I am sure she will sleep better.  


Her counts still are not coming up but she has a little of platelets.  They say that is good because the counts will start coming in.  She is really hoping to get out before Christmas.  I told her that we can celebrate Christmas any day. 


She was kind of tired today.  She threw up again and then ate right after.  Kind of weird.  Her friend Reed came and visited her tonight and I think that cheered her up.  Mom and Dad came tonight and we played 2 games of FARKLE.  Alyssa won the first game and I won the second game.  It was a good game for her to play because you have to add the dice. 


Oh by the way she had 5 questions for the lung doctor (Dr. Pearl) and he didn't know the answer to any questions.  I think she was impressed that she could trip him up.  He told her tonight that she needed to have another question for him tomorrow.  He is going to ask her a cooking question tomorrow night.  This doctor's personality is really coming out.  When she was very sick he was all business.  Now that she is getting better he likes to joke with her.  It is fun to see Alyssa react to him.

2 comments:

  1. Alyssa, it really doesn't matter when or where we celebrate Christmas this year. I was all along hoping that you wouldn't be in the hospital come Christmas day, but I knew it certainly was possible. And now as the day is coming even closer I begin to think, "So be it" At least Ill get to see my sister and see how well she is doing. I am so glad you were sleep without any fears of coughing tonight, and that you have been able to laugh. Laughter really is the best medicine. Alyssa, like I have thousands do not think about where you are at or what condition you are in. The best thing for you to focus on is to continue getting better. And one great way to do that is to think of the many blessings you have had. I have felt so blessed especially recently. I remember being told this many times on my mission and even though I didn't always follow the counsel when I did, I remembered I was blessed for it because I was able to focus my mind on what was really important then (the work) And that's eactly what you need to do Alyssa. Maybe you can sing "Because I Have Been Given Much" or "Count Your Many Blessings". You could even have mom or one of the nurses sing it to you! I'm sure they would love to do so. Those are probably the 2 best songs you could sing or listen to at this time. I love you, Alyssa, you really are an amazing sister. Your unwavering faith and determination is such an example to me and Kelsey. I love you very much and as always get well soon.
    Love,
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyssa,
    Glad to hear you had a good night! We are coming to bring Christmas presents for you on Sunday after church. Keep up the good work. :)
    Love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete